As web design specialists, one of the most common questions we’re asked is how a website builder differs from a bespoke website. We totally understand this, as website builders say that they offer total customisation, which makes it sound like your site will be fully bespoke.
Our web development specialists got together to clear up this issue and explain why a bespoke website offers so much more for your business.
What is a website builder?
Website builders are sites that use templates, making it pretty easy for anyone to build their own website. Top examples are Squarespace, Weebly and Wix, although there are a lot more of them out there.
The drag-and-drop function is a popular feature of website builders, as this allows you to simply drag over an element from the sidebar and drop it wherever works best. For instance, you could drag over a header, a text box, an image placer and a social media bar and then fill them in with the relevant details.
Are website builders bad?
Definitely not. In fact, we totally get why many individuals and businesses use website builders. They’re specifically designed to make the creation of a website a fast, easy and (usually) stress-free process, which can surely only be a good thing.
However, whilst website builders can be a great entry point for your company’s web presence, you must consider their longevity before going ahead:
- Will the site load quickly enough as your content grows and traffic increases?
- Does the provider offer the very best digital security to protect your data?
- Is there the option to add other features as the need arises, such as an online store?
All of these questions and many more need to be asked before you invest time and money into creating a site using a website builder.
What is a bespoke website?
A bespoke website really does live up to its name, as it will be built from scratch according to the needs, preferences and expectations of your business. It doesn’t necessarily have to be jam-packed with unique features, as you may decide that less is more, but the point is that everything is there for a reason and the site can evolve in line with your requirements.
EyeSite is our website platform that can be customised to suit your exact needs, resulting in a company website that perfectly reflects your brand personality and delivers an outstanding user experience. This results in the visitor staying on your site for longer and being more likely to follow a call to action, such as getting in touch or sharing their contact details.
The pros and cons of website builders
As with most options in life, choosing a website builder comes with its benefits and disadvantages. To help you make an informed decision, we’ve popped the pros and cons below.
- It’s a low-cost option, which works well if your budget is tight
- You don’t need a web developer, so you can take the DIY approach
- The website builder comes with prebuilt templates, making the design process quick and easy
- The service includes website hosting, domain name registration and sometimes email accounts, making it a convenient option
- Using a template limits the design options, sometimes to a great extent
- Other people (such as your competitors) can use the same template, removing the uniqueness from your website
- You won't get personal support, or if you do it won’t be from a dedicated account manager
- Bespoke development becomes difficult as soon as you require anything more than basic features
- Your website will have limited technical capabilities and could become messy and clunky
- Website builders say they come with SEO capabilities but generally don’t perform well for search engine optimisation, so your website probably won’t rank highly on Google
- Bloated code is common, which causes the site to load slowly on certain pages or across the board
- There’s a risk of compatibility and security issues arising due to external plugins and template problems
Which website builder should I go for?
We believe that there’s never anything to lose from speaking to a professional marketing agency first, yet there’s an awful lot to gain. If you get in touch with Eyeweb about your website requirements, we’ll ask you what you aim to achieve and advise on the best solution from both a technical and business growth perspective.
Let’s talk websites
We’re a friendly web design agency that’s ready to help you select the right digital tools for the job. To get started, give us a ring on 01482 628830 or fill in our contact form.